November 4, 2009


I really need to stop spitting my thoughts out at you guys while I'm supposed to be studying, don't I?

Today/night I'd like to talk about epic movies, and more specifically their soundtracks. I, friends or fiends, am a huge nerd. Give a me movie that's nerdy and has some good battle scenes and I am like putty in your hands. They can be martial arts fights, they can be space lasers shootouts, they can be ship stand-downs, or they can be your run-of-the-mill dirty broadsword-fest.

So I suppose you want examples. An obvious one would be Helm's Deep. Holy hell, what a battle. By far the best in Lord of the Rings. The epic Minas Tirith/gates of Mordor battle would have been great had it not been punctuated by infinitely less interesting scenes of Sam/Frodo angst (BUT I CAN CARRY YOUUUU). I may or may not fast forward through the hobbits when I am in a mood to watch a slaughterin'. In other works, you've got your Death Star. I literally started shaking I was so excited when I watched the final battle in the last Chronicles of Narnia movie.

And now we've reached Star Trek. Awesome black hole riddled time-traveling force-field-breaking battles that actually defy the laws of physics? AWESOME. I've been a Star Trek fan for a while (strictly the Original Series, though I plan on watching TNG in the near future), and I loved the 2009 movie.

One of the more awesome aspects of these movies is their soundtracks. What. epic. music. I have soundtracks for all the Lord of the Rings movies, Star Wars Episode IV, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter 1, both the Chronicles of Narnia, and various other epic movies throughout the years. But I've noticed that out of all of these soundtracks, there are certain tracks that make you feel the most epic. These are the ones that get you to go that much faster when you're running. The tracks that, when I listen to movie soundtracks while doing English reading, make parts of the book seem oddly heroic, even if the characters are doing nothing. They BOLDLY GO WHERE NO EPIC SONG HAS GONE BEFOOORE.

I was going to do this movie by movie, but I realized that my favorite songs always fall into certain categories (and for good reason... they are epic categories).
THE THEME:
Themes of a movie are always epic. This is probably because this is the job of the theme, but we're going to ignore logic and listen to me. John Williams writes the bitchinest themes on the face of the planet because, let's face it, he's the man. This includes, but is not limited to (aka I really need the ET soundtrack as well as Indiana Jones):
- Main Title/Rebel Blockade Runner from Star Wars IV
- Theme from Jurassic Park
- Hedwig's Theme from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Other composers:
- Star Trek from Star Trek 2009
- The Black Pearl from Pirates of the Caribbean: the Curse of the Black Pearl (I don't acknowledge the later films... this soundtrack is awesome).
- OH MY GOD THE THEME FROM LORD OF THE RINGS. I can't find which track it is but you know what I'm talking about. Baaaaah buuuuuh buh buh baaaaaaaah. You know it. Basically, take everything I'm saying about epic music and then accept that Howard Shore does it better.

THE ENTERING INTO THE QUEST SONG:
- Arrival at Aslan's How from Prince Caspian. This song. is so epic.
- In Pirates there's some pretty nice stuff in Fog Bound and in the Medallion Calls. Very call-to-actioney. Chills.
- Both Journey to the Island and Welcome to Jurassic Park... WOW.
- My newest love: Enterprising Young Men from Star Trek 2009. Do it.

THE SINISTER CRAZY WHAT THE HELL THIS SHIT IS GETTING DARK SONG:
- I am failing at life on the Lord of the Rings front right now, but that really high strings one, which I could have sworn was called Argonath. It's awesome.
- the Trash Compactor from Star Wars IV
- all the stuff in the obstacle course at the end of the first Harry Potter
- Sorcery and Sudden Vengeance from Prince Caspian

THE ACTUAL BATTLE SCENE:
- The Duel, Battle at Aslan's How, and Return of the Lion from Prince Caspian. Soo epic.
- Helm's Deep and Forth Eorlingas from Lord of the Rings
- The Battle Of Yavin (Launch From The Fourth Moon/X-Wings Draw Fire/Use The Force) from Star Wars IV
- He's a Pirate from Pirates.

Anyway. That's my rant on epic movie soundtracks. I have officially alienated all of you that do not watch super nerdy movies as a hobby.

Sorry that my entires have largely been frenzied lists as of late. I have a couple ideas for pithy Stinsonesque observations of the world, but I unfortunately lack both the time and the coherency to actually spit them out. Luckily for you, my winter break is coming up and I'll have nothing to do but feed you blog post after blog post. Get excited.

1 comment:

  1. Nice list. I will admit that it was the picture that got me really excited. LOL. I love me some Han Solo. I couldn't agree with you more on your choice of soundtracks. I love John Williams. I love how he utilises all of the instruments in the orchestra rather than just focusing on violins like a lot of composers. Maybe I just have a soft spot for loud brass...

    The HP 4 soundtrack is pretty amazing. The theme is super revamped and dark and awesome. All of the task music is SUPER epic and makes you want to have an adventure. Neville's Waltz is wonderfully heartwarming and Potter Waltz is just beautiful. There is a part in Voldemort towards the end that just makes you want to cry because it is the part of the movie where Harry's parents come out of Voldemort's wand. Gets me every time...
    ... And last, but not least, Another Year Ends is really pretty/ kind of tragic sounding and always makes me think of graduation.

    Don't even get me started on Nicholas Hooper's HP 5 soundtrack...

    ReplyDelete